|October 1-6||National Day Holiday|
FOR A COMPLETE LISTING OF ALL SCHOOL EVENTS, VIEW OUR WEBSITE CALENDAR.
PARENT WORKSHOP SEP 29
On Tuesday, September 29, from 2-3 p.m., our Student Services department is hosting a workshop for parents about our English Language Support (ELS) program.
If your child is in our ELS program, we encourage you to attend. We will explain how our program works, expectations for student progress, and how we can work together to support your child. If you missed the English Language Support presentation at Orientation/Open House, this workshop should be especially helpful. No reservations required. Chinese & Korean translation available.
MAP TESTING FOR FALL
After October holiday, we’ll begin MAP® (Measures of Academic Progress ®) testing. We conduct MAP tests regularly throughout the year, which allows us to track students’ growth each time they test. To learn more about MAP, please read HERE or contact your child’s teacher.
• Week 1 (October 12-16): Grades 2 and 5
• Week 2 (October 19-23): Grades 3, 4, and Middle School
• Week 3 (October 26-30): EC5, Grade 1, High School
AFTER-SCHOOL ACTIVITIES FOR QUARTER 1
|Elementary Soccer Club||3-5||Oct 7-Nov 4 (Wednesdays)||3:15-4:30|
|Elementary Newspaper Club||4-5||Oct 8-Nov 5 (Thursdays)||3:15-4:30|
|Sudoku Club||5-12||Oct 7-Nov 4 (Wednesdays)||3:15-4:30|
|Ballet Club||EC5-G3||Oct 12-Dec 14 (Mondays)||3:15-4:30|
|Elementary Table Tennis||1-5||Oct 12-Dec 14 (Mondays)||3:15-4:30|
- Registration opens Friday, September 18, at 8 pm and closes on Thursday, September 24, at 8 pm.
- Parents can register their children for After-School Activities through the Parent Portal on PowerSchool.
- In order to allow students a fair chance at registration, students can only register for one activity at a time. If there are any openings remaining on September 28, parents may sign up their child for more than one activity from September 28-September 30.
- Fees for each activity are in PowerSchool. Please pay using your child's account, not cash.
- If you have questions or need further help, please contact Ms. Xiong at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SECONDARY ATTENDANCE EXPECTATIONS
Secondary teachers record attendance in PowerSchool for students who are both on campus and off campus.
- Students outside Wuhan - For students who are off campus and learning online, we expect them to join Zoom calls and participate with the teacher and on-campus students synchronously as much as is possible and available. We expect all students in an Asian time zone to participate in class synchronously.
- Students in Wuhan - Students currently in Wuhan are expected to attend classes at WYIS unless their specific situation has been discussed and approved by either Dr. Carlson or Dr. Rehm.
Our hope is for all students to return to WYIS and begin learning in person as soon as possible. We know every student’s situation is different, so please talk with your child’s teacher or Dr. Rehm with any exceptions we should consider or any other questions you have.
Many of you have already met online our new principals this year, Dr. Will Hatten from North Carolina, USA, and Dr. Chris Rehm from Virginia, USA. They are excited to join WYIS and to get to know our students and their families.
To learn more about Dr. Hatten and Dr. Rehm, please watch their introduction videos HERE.
LOST & FOUND IN ATHLETICS BUILDING
The Athletics Department has cleaned out the student changing rooms and discovered a large number of leftover clothes, shoes, and other items. Students and parents are welcome to come to the main entrance area of the Athletics Building to look for any of their lost items. We will get rid of any unclaimed items by September 30.
LEAVING ITEMS IN THE LOBBY
Occasionally we are asked to keep items in our lobby to exchange from one parent to another. Unfortunately, we do not have the space to hold items for others in our lobby, and we prefer the responsibility to remain with the sender and receiver. If you have items you'd like to leave for another WYIS family, please make arrangements to directly pass those items along to them. Thank you!