IMPORTANT CALENDAR UPDATES
We announced recently that our staff professional development/day off for students moved to November 9. As of this week, our calendar has changed again. Below are two important dates for you to mark:
- Friday, November 13 is Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC). This will be a day off for students, but a time for parents to schedule conferences to visit with teachers about their child’s progress in school. More information to come.
- November 9 is now a regular school day (and not a day off for students). The new date for staff professional development is Tuesday, April 6.
As usual, please check our website calendar (HERE) for the most up-to-date information.
CHARACTER & COSTUME DAY OCTOBER 30
October is always a fun month at WYIS, partly because we have a day to dress up and come to school in costume. Character & Costume Day is Friday, October 30. Below are specifics by department:
ELEMENTARY: CHARACTER DAY - Each elementary classroom has selected a theme that connects with their class. Teachers are sending home information to parents with more details. Themes by grade are noted below:
• EC3 Letters
• EC4 Disney
• EC5 Fairy Tales
• G1 Super Heroes
• G2 Animals
• G3 Fall
• G4 Book Characters
• G5 Vocabulary
- SECONDARY: COSTUME DAY - Students can dress up in the costume of their choice. Secondary students have been given more details on what is and is not appropriate for Character & Costume Day.
Though wearing costumes at school is fun and different, we do have guidelines. General uniform rules for modesty and safety apply. Also, no scary costumes (no blood or gore, etc.) and no weapons.
If a student's costume or clothing is not appropriate, they will be sent home to change. Students who choose not to dress up must come to school wearing their regular school uniform or Spirit Wear Friday gear. Students are still expected to change into/out of their PE uniforms as usual, if October 30 is a PE day for them. Questions? Please contact your child's teacher.
SPIRIT WEAR FRIDAYS
Dress code on Fridays now includes Spirit Wear! Instead of students wearing the usual uniform polo, all students can now wear any WYIS logo wear top. This includes hoodies and t-shirts sold in our lobby, as well as athletics shirts or other official WYIS logo wear. Students can also wear nice jeans (modest, no holes) on Fridays only.
Go to the lobby today to get your Spirit Wear from Buffalo Goods. Our hoodies and t-shirts are all on sale! Get ready for a special sale for 11/11, too! (More info in the coming weeks.)
WORKSHOP FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL PARENTS
On Tuesday, October 27 from 2-3 PM, we will have a workshop for all parents of middle schoolers. In the workshop, Supporting Your Middle Schooler, we’ll explain our philosophy and expectations for middle schoolers, the transition to 6th grade, as well as have time for mingling and question and answer.
If you’re the parent of a middle schooler, please plan to join us! Translation will be available.
SPECIAL APPRECIATION FOR OUR LOCAL GOVERNMENT
We now have approved applications for all WYIS to return to Wuhan. This has been a long and complicated process, which we could not have done without the help of local officials. We are very thankful for the tremendous support and effort of the many people who have helped WYIS staff return to China, including WEDZ, the city of Wuhan, and the Hubei Provincial governments. Specifically, we owe a debt of gratitude to Dong Yipin and Duan Hongwei with the Office of Foreign Cooperation and Exchange in the Wuhan Education Bureau; and Leng Rui with the Foreign Affairs Office of WEDZ.
MAP TESTING FOR FALL
This week and next, we’re MAP® testing. We conduct MAP (Measures of Academic Progress ®) tests regularly throughout the year, which allows us to track students’ growth each time they test. To learn more about MAP, please read HERE or contact your child’s teacher.
• Week 1 (October 12-16): Grades 2 and 5
• Week 2 (October 19-23): Grades 3, 4, and Middle School
• Week 3 (October 26-30): EC5, Grade 1, High School
AFTER-SCHOOL ACTIVITIES PICKUP LOCATIONS
If your child is attending an after-school activity, please make note of where to pick them up after the club finishes:
• Elementary Table Tennis: Outside Performance Arts Building lobby.
• Ballet Club: Outside main door of the Athletics Building
• Soccer Club (Grades 3-5): Soccer field gate/entrance
• Newspaper Club: Main lobby of the Academic Building
|October 12-30||MAP Testing|
|October 30||Character & Costume Day|
|November 13||Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC)|